Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Malphator
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Malphator
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: This, so much this!

Postby Malphator » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:05 pm

M. Kowalsky wrote:Fantastic read, couldn't agree more as well.
I'm really pissed-off at all these "new"* games (* for a past-middle-aged old fart) that put exclamation marks on every quest-dispensing NPCs and hand-hold players so they can breeze through content as quickly as possible (and then moan that there's nothing to do in "end-game")

Exactly why I am in no rush to accomplish stuff. Do I want an Asp to go Exploring with? Certainly. Do I want to stockpile the creds for a Python, some day? Also certainly. But there's still so very much you can do with the smaller ships. I'm most assuredly biased to the Cobra, but I may go for that 'third time's a charm' attempt at owning a Viper. One of these days. It's all up to me. And that's the beautiful point. If I want to, I can make a day of bounty hunting in a Sidewinder, just for the ability to be as bat-shit crazy in a dogfight as I want. I actually recommend this, to be honest. I've had loads of fun trying to take out pirate vipers in nearby anarchy systems. Some do make it easier than others, novice NPCs and such. The masters make it much more engaging! The most exciting was the dangerous Asp. I gave him a good deal of hell before he finally got the upper-hand on me! Haha.

Telengo
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Telengo

Postby Telengo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:24 pm

A fantastic read, and certainly made me sit back and take stock of how things are going.

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert
CMDR: HAMM3R

Postby HAMM3R » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:24 pm

I suppose it's the same openness and "do your own thing" in ED what keeps me glued to Euro Truck Simulator time after time. There's no end-game in ETS. You just keep hauling stuff across the continent. Pick your route and cargo and hit the road and enjoy the scenery. Just mind your schedule. Sure, I don't get mugged in ETS everytime I pull out of a company lot, lol, but there are other hazards along the way to keep you alert. And if you get bored to your current state, start over and maybe stick to under powered starting level trucks and grind those gears. Your game, your call.

Like the original poster said "you're not playing a game, you're playing in a game." I think that sums up both games for me perfectly.
Scooping fuel is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First check the target is hot enough,
then approach slowly. Once close enough, pull out your scoop and fill her up. After you're done just
gently pull away, turn around and leave.

Malphator
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Malphator

Postby Malphator » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 pm

HAMM3R wrote:Like the original poster said "you're not playing a game, you're playing in a game." I think that sums up both games for me perfectly.

Logging into Elite isn't so much stepping up to an arade game and dropping a quarter; it's more like Flynn digitizing onto The Grid. You are IN the game. You are a part of the game. The lack of an MPC gives us the option to disconnect and go back to reality. Hehe.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:37 am

Outstanding, and sharp to the point. I could add my 2 Cents (more my 1/2 pennies) at a friend's blog (here) and could refer to that excellent article.

Return to “General Discussion”