Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Soulmirror
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Soulmirror
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

exploration questions

Postby Soulmirror » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Currently making loops from Lembava, I'll pick a point and make an economy run towards it. I know when I have not been in a system because the central star is Unknown. However, all the planets have names and I can not explore them. Yet, at other times I have run into a system while trading and the planet next to the station shows unknown. Am I missing anything? Or once to get away from civilization do these strange exploring things go away? I thought if you had not been to a system, nothing would show up until you hit the scanner button?

P.S. I am using an Advanced scanner / detailed surface scanner.

Mouse
Master
Master
CMDR: Baigs

Re: exploration questions

Postby Mouse » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:22 pm

some people scan a star and don't scan everything else there, others scan all but asteroids, then some get everything. I am not sure of the threshold points but I believe it takes scans from several explorers before a system becomes known. And that is my speculation as I turned in a whole bunch of scans last night for almost a mil in profit and got quite a few "you are the first " messages. Yet many I turned in had been scanned by others even though it was showing unknown to me. I also am not sure if it has anything to do with basic scanners vs detailed.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - HHGTTGImageImage

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
CMDR: DanDak

Re: exploration questions

Postby Daniel Dakota » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi soulmirror, if you see a star or planet that shows as unexplored it means you haven't scanned it (surface scanned). This is why you can still sell your scanned data to UC (Universal Cartographics) at any station over 20 Ly distant from said star or planet, for core systems as well as those further out.
Inside the inhabited bubble this makes you a fair few Credits (and rank ups) as you go about your usual business of trading or whatever.

Hope I've helped bud

Fly safe

Return to “General Discussion”