Community Support for the machines running the game
Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Couch-borne HOTAS?

Postby Schmobius » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Loriath wrote:I was thinking more about this today.

Could this be of any use for what you want to do?

http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/catalog/produ ... #/40242177

Actually, it might. I'll have to think about that. The main problem I see with my couch using those is that it's a sectional, and while I'd be sitting in the middle non-reclining part, there's a steel frame that runs along the perimeter of it, that might not allow table legs to slide under the couch.

I'd probably have to work out something for armrests still, but yes, having one of those for each stick and keyboard on my lap could even work. (They look small and like they are angled to a side, rather than something to sit in the middle in front of you, but that may just be the angle of the picture.) I like the way you're thinking here, and it's letting me consider some other possibilities in the setup.

Soulmirror
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Soulmirror
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Soulmirror » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Soulmirror wrote:Here ya go...

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=c ... mp=yhs-004

or even better

Who wants to pitch in on a gofundme campaign to help me buy that? (And possibly a bigger apartment to contain it.)

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak

Postby pargyrak » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:53 pm

This the one I have also but using it for Laptop stand. Not very stable I must add
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:29 pm

pargyrak wrote:

This the one I have also but using it for Laptop stand. Not very stable I must add

How is it unstable? Does it tip along the vertex of the legs (I think I'm saying that geometrically correctly... someone correct me if not.), or does the pole wiggle in the base? If the former, it may be ok if I have it right up against the couch... assuming the feet will clear the frame under it. I really just need something to bolt the sticks into that will stay put itself.

I've even considered just making a T out of plywood for each stick, and shoving the vertical part between the couch cushions. Probably need to build a short armrest on each if I do that, and I'm not sure what kind of wear and tear that would put on the couch. (I've had it since before Nirvana killed hair metal, and it's in very good condition, except for some of the stuffing needing fluffed up a bit in places. I'd like to keep it that way.) I'm also not sure if that would encroach too much on the width of the cushion where my legs go.

With that, or the Ikea tables, the sticks would be sitting kind of low, I imagine, hopefully not too low. (I'd probably want the table resting against the couch for stability, especially after this warning)

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:48 pm

The only stable part is where the poll is ending (It continues a bit towards you as you sit in front of it) .
If you apply pressure at the edges of the laptop stand it moves. So if you keep the HOTAS there you might be in trouble.
That is unless I have a defective one
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:52 pm

pargyrak wrote:The only stable part is where the poll is ending (It continues a bit towards you as you sit in front of it) .
If you apply pressure at the edges of the laptop stand it moves. So if you keep the HOTAS there you might be in trouble.

As in the entire thing tips forward, or the base stays put, and the rest of it tips forward relative to it?

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Something that seemed rather cool to me was this: http://www.xwstands.com/Page1.php

They are made for racing wheels, and I thought maybe that type of stand, with two shifter adapters could hold the sticks... but you'll notice all the pictures show it being used with a chair that has armrests. I have a feeling that without armrests, my arms would get tired from holding them up to the level of the sticks.

Anyone know of something similar that exists in the wild, or have an idea on how to build one that doesn't involve making a PVC pipe contraption that will take up half my living room?

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:14 pm

This angles towards the user (£100+ is a spend though):

hotas stand.jpg
hotas stand.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 4642 times

hotas 2.jpg
hotas 2.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 4642 times

Found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheel-Stand-Thr ... B00GF0U6NA
"Wibble"

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:05 am

Schmobius wrote:
pargyrak wrote:The only stable part is where the poll is ending (It continues a bit towards you as you sit in front of it) .

As in the entire thing tips forward, or the base stays put, and the rest of it tips forward relative to it?

There is a mechanism to tip it forward if you want but if you don't engage it, it tips only a bit. It tips quite a bit left or right though
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Return to “Hardware and Technical”