Community Support for the machines running the game
Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Couch-borne HOTAS?

Postby Schmobius » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:09 am

I'm currently playing with a PS4 controller and chatpad for some extra buttons, but the chatpad is a low-quality 3rd party piece of crap, so that brings some issues into play. Just one more reason I'm considering a HOTAS setup.

I'm eyeing the X-55 and maybe a set of rudder pedals (I think the X-55 twists, but that doesn't appeal to me...), but I play E:D from my couch, not a chair right in front of a desk. I'm about 10 feet back from the TV, so I think I need to come up with something clever to mount the sticks to.

I've done some poking around on google, and there are year or two old posts on the subject, but most people's solutions look pretty half-assed. I've seen some steel rigs that are really meant for racing wheels that look interesting, but I'd probably have to use VESA mounts off that frame to put the sticks on, and then figure out how to make armrests on it, but at least I could probably put a keyboard where the wheel is supposed to go.... I know there's one contraption that looks a bit like a glorified tray table, but it expects you to have both stick and throttle centered in front of you, whereas I want them to the sides at the end of armrests just like you see your pilot set up in E:D (but not just because of that).

So does anybody have any solutions better than a lapdesk?

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Re: Couch-borne HOTAS?

Postby Loriath » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:13 am

The only thing I know of that is completely portable is the Wheel Stand Pro that has a setup for HOTAS. You can find it here:
http://wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel ... -deluxe-v2

I assume that you will want something that also allows for some kind of Keyboard, and I think their stand has addons that will allow you to put one on there.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby pargyrak » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:05 am

The cheapest solution is to go to an IKEA and buy a small laptop desk. I have one that is standing on the floor and one that you can put on your lap but stands on the couch with some short of legs. The floor standing one is not very stable but it has space for a keyboard also
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Loriath wrote:The only thing I know of that is completely portable is the Wheel Stand Pro that has a setup for HOTAS. You can find it here:
http://wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel ... -deluxe-v2

I assume that you will want something that also allows for some kind of Keyboard, and I think their stand has addons that will allow you to put one on there.

I've seen this one, but it looks like it puts the sticks scrunched together in the middle... I'm hoping for something that puts them at the end of armrests with room for a keyboard in the middle. I've seen that couchmaster lap desk thing that kind of does that, but it looks very overpriced for what it is. I don't mind paying for quality, but that seems more like paying 25 bucks for a big Mac. So I've been a bit frustrated with this.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:32 pm

I have a similar need. I was thinking of using something like one of these speaker stands (I found here, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-SILVER-BOOK ... 3aafd164c9):

Speaker Stands.JPG
Speaker Stands.JPG (22.45 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

with rubber non slip matting underneath and a plank across the top. My legs could go either side of the upright support so I can get close to the HOTAS. May have to stagger the plank/cross piece to drop down either side in order to bring the stick and throttle to hand height and the keyboard in the middle above that. The keyboard could be angled at chest height which would be good I think. With some drilling and bolts and a lick/spray of paint it could be quite nice. It should take the action as it's designed for a heavy speaker
"Wibble"

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:14 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:I have a similar need. I was thinking of using something like one of these speaker stands (I found here, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-SILVER-BOOK ... 3aafd164c9):

Speaker Stands.JPG

with rubber non slip matting underneath and a plank across the top. My legs could go either side of the upright support so I can get close to the HOTAS. May have to stagger the plank/cross piece to drop down either side in order to bring the stick and throttle to hand height and the keyboard in the middle above that. The keyboard could be angled at chest height which would be good I think. With some drilling and bolts and a lick/spray of paint it could be quite nice. It should take the action as it's designed for a heavy speaker

Wouldn't you have to lean really far forward to use something built on that?

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:23 am

Schmobius wrote:
Avago-Earo wrote:I have a similar need. I was thinking of using something like one of these speaker stands (I found here, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-SILVER-BOOK ... 3aafd164c9):

Speaker Stands.JPG

If you have your legs either side of the upright support so that the middle part is over your lap, then have the plank or boards to the left and right extend towards you and maybe stepped lower with wooden blocks for the stick and throttle. I had this idea as I have a T-Flight and the cable length between the throttle and stick restricts any other way to mount them comfortably without the cable stretched over my legs and having to remove them each time I get up and sit back down.
"Wibble"

Schmobius
Master
Master

Postby Schmobius » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:09 am

Avago-Earo wrote:
Schmobius wrote:

Speaker Stands.JPG

If you have your legs either side of the upright support so that the middle part is over your lap, then have the plank or boards to the left and right extend towards you and maybe stepped lower with wooden blocks for the stick and throttle. I had this idea as I have a T-Flight and the cable length between the throttle and stick restricts any other way to mount them comfortably without the cable stretched over my legs and having to remove them each time I get up and sit back down.

Ok, I think I was failing to visualize the stepped wooden blocks part... I was thinking it would sit at the front of the couch, which would pretty much rule out leaning back.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Leaning back in the couch. Yes my idea may not work so well. That's partly my mistake. I was thinking more of being in a living room (with no computer desk), rather than sitting back in a couch. I guess it depends on how much the HOTAS supports can extend and still keep the stand balanced.

I suppose an alternative could be one of those bean bag lap trays. Not ideal but maybe some small legs on each side that fit snugly either side of the couch's cushion for stability? You'd have to lift it off and on a coffe table or similar every time you sit down or get up so maybe that's a bit meh.

lap tray.JPG
lap tray.JPG (15.06 KiB) Viewed 6381 times
"Wibble"

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:24 pm

I was thinking more about this today.

Could this be of any use for what you want to do?

http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/catalog/produ ... #/40242177

My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Return to “Hardware and Technical”