Page 1 of 1

Multiple controller options?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:57 am
by smartroad
Is there a way of having separate controller options. I mainly fly with HOTAS but sometimes at my PC I don't have space for a full flight setup (wehen I need a break from working at it) and would like to use a gamepad. Can I save my HOTAS setup and then save a gamepad setup and use the drop down to pick each?

Re: Multiple controller options?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 am
by Loriath
Yes.

I have several setups on mine. My DefaultX52ProwithKICS X52ProWithASTRA X52ProBasics LogitechF710WithKICS etc.

Just backup your Bindings first. Make sure all are plugged in when you select or ED seems to delete/clear unused bindings.

Re: Multiple controller options?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:26 pm
by captain easy
I was not aware that ED deleted unused bindings. That's good to know. It might also explain some issues I had in the past that I never did quite figure out what was going on!

Re: Multiple controller options?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:13 pm
by smartroad
Cheers Loraith! I shall look when I get home :D

Re: Multiple controller options?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:56 pm
by Loriath
captain easy wrote:I was not aware that ED deleted unused bindings. That's good to know. It might also explain some issues I had in the past that I never did quite figure out what was going on!


It doesn't actually delete them, but does change them. For Example, my joystick is plugged into USB port 4 and I move it to port 6 and windows goes through the found new hardware, and ED sees it as a new stick and defaults it. Device ID's based on ports can really screw with things. So it doesn't delete them, but defaults them, which is basically the same since it overwrites your startup.preset file.

Re: Multiple controller options?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 pm
by FANTA5M1C
How does one backup bindings, because I'd love to just use my gamepad sometimes as well.

Re: Multiple controller options?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:19 pm
by Loriath
FANTA5M1C wrote:How does one backup bindings, because I'd love to just use my gamepad sometimes as well.


You need to copy your Bindings directory. If you are NOT using steam or a Mac, it is located in:

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Notice there is a Space between Frontier and Developments. There will be another directory where the space is replaced with an Underscore ( the _ character)

Just copy the whole Bindings directory somewhere safe.

I have no idea where it is on the Mac or if you installed via steam.

Re: Multiple controller options?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:31 pm
by Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Loriath wrote:
FANTA5M1C wrote:How does one backup bindings, because I'd love to just use my gamepad sometimes as well.


You need to copy your Bindings directory. If you are NOT using steam or a Mac, it is located in:

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Notice there is a Space between Frontier and Developments. There will be another directory where the space is replaced with an Underscore ( the _ character)

Just copy the whole Bindings directory somewhere safe.

I have no idea where it is on the Mac or if you installed via steam.


Cool, that's really useful I didn't know you could do that! :)

Re: Multiple controller options?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 pm
by FANTA5M1C
Ohh, the manual method. Gotcha. Kind of a pain, but what are you going to do? Thanks for that, Lotiath.

Re: Multiple controller options?

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:28 am
by TorTorden
I am using steam and It is in the same cache folder.
Windows got a builtin shortcut for the appdata cache folders "%appdata%"
so copy paste this

Code: Select all

%appdata%\..\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings


into windows run and it opens the folder directly, you could also make a shortcut with it and it would open it directly anytime.

I know I'm mostly being weird but that "c:/users/username/" etc just hurts my very soul for some weird reason.