Community Support for the machines running the game
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

doo daa loo

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Last night in beta, and just now testing in the regular game, I keep hearing a quick 3-tone sound that sounds something like "doo-daa-loo". I don't think it's an in-game sound, especially since it now happened in the regular game. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the Oculus software. Come to think of it, it may sound something like when you connect or disconnect an USB thumb drive. The Rift isn't disconnecting, and I don't appear to be losing tracking. Anyway, I probably heard it 20 times in an hour last night, and 5 times in 15 minutes just now. Any ideas what it is?
It's time to give this another go.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: doo daa loo

Postby Xebeth » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:01 pm

When it starts asking you to do things, then it's time to seek help :P :D
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Sounds like the one I keep hearing......

Vin-Daa-Loo.......... Vin-Daa-Loo.......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:33 pm

It's what's for dinner.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:49 pm

You're not seeing any pop-ups on your desktop when it happens? I know that Win 10 is big on 'important' notifications that have a sound attached when they pop up for a few seconds.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:54 pm

Under what circumstances do you hear it? There is a "boo doo doo" three notes rising sound in the hyperspace/witchspace sequence.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:59 pm

I just hear it randomly, but I'll try to pay more attention. I don't see any notifications. I once saw a notification that the sensor couldn't be found, and then it was found, but that was about a week ago - and I never noticed a problem (could have happened when I wasn't wearing it).

I wonder if it has to do with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update that was pushed on me this weekend?

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:21 am

OK, it turns out is the USB connect/disconnect sound for my throttle. I noticed it for sure when my throttle became temporarily disabled for several seconds, but usually it would quickly disconnect and reconnect so I wouldn't notice. I may have a damaged cable because my jury-rigged HOTAS tables came crashing to the ground the other day and the throttle was left hanging by the cable. Tomorrow I'll check all the plugs and sockets, and if I still have a problem I'll look into the throttle itself.

Still, I hope it's not some crap with Windows 10 AE effing with the USB.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:05 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:OK, it turns out is the USB connect/disconnect sound for my throttle. I noticed it for sure when my throttle became temporarily disabled for several seconds, but usually it would quickly disconnect and reconnect so I wouldn't notice. I may have a damaged cable because my jury-rigged HOTAS tables came crashing to the ground the other day and the throttle was left hanging by the cable. Tomorrow I'll check all the plugs and sockets, and if I still have a problem I'll look into the throttle itself.

I don't mean to be the voice of doom but I'm pretty sure the anniversary update has destabilised my system.
I have intermittent problems with system sounds (the dings and beeps etc), ED micro-stutters a lot and my ethernet adapter drops the connection about every 30-40 minutes just long enough for ED to time out.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:OK, it turns out is the USB connect/disconnect sound for my throttle. I noticed it for sure when my throttle became temporarily disabled for several seconds, but usually it would quickly disconnect and reconnect so I wouldn't notice. I may have a damaged cable because my jury-rigged HOTAS tables came crashing to the ground the other day and the throttle was left hanging by the cable. Tomorrow I'll check all the plugs and sockets, and if I still have a problem I'll look into the throttle itself.

Inadequate current can cause this with USB devices. And yes, it can be caused by platform software too, sadly. The platform software controls the registers of the host controller, including power. I had this happen on one system where Windows had disconnect issues, but Linux did not. I had to clean out the INF and the drivers, and reload them, to solve the issue.

Although if you had a recent, 'mechanical agitation event,' that could be the origin of your issue.

In any case, I find moving around USB ports usually solves any issue. Some USB ports in mainboard designs are feeding off of the same +5Vdc, and there can be a limit to the amount of total current available. I also find this drops with the age of the board.

If you're still having issues, consider an active, powered USB hub with an AC/DC that provides additional current. That would at least either validate it is the issue, and eliminate it, or not. Just purchase a good one, as some low-cost ones don't always isolate things correctly.

BTW, I had to reload my Intel USB 3.0 (XHCI) drivers recently, due to an Oculus driver update. This too required me to clean out the INF and the drivers, and reload them. Microsoft's XHCI drivers are severely lacking, even the latest via Windows Update for Windows 7. I swear sometimes Microsoft purposely leaves old drivers in Windows 7, to force people to upgrade.

I so want a Linux port of E:D so f'ing bad, at least before I'm forced to upgrade to Windows 10 in 2020. This intermittent bullsh-- with driver updates ends with Linux. That's because the ODMs work with kernel maintainers, and track all the countless OEM implementations, using a single, driver stack, whereas on Windows, Microsoft relies entirely on OEMs, who ship all sorts of drivers of varying quality.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”